700 North & South Road
St. Louis, MO 63130 | 314-863-7485
Join our mailing list
Candlelighting Mar 7 --- 5:42 pm
March 8, 2014
At U.City Shul
Kiddush this week is in honor of Gloria Feldman, sponsored by her friends and admirers, in appreciation for her generosity and loving spirit!
Lunch & Learn for ladies has been rescheduled for this Tuesday, March 11 at 12:30 pm. There is no charge for lunch, but reservations must be made to theShul office.
Save the Date! Back by popular demand.....Rabbi Lazer Brody Shabbaton at UCity Shul! Friday, June 20th and Shabbos June 21st. Friday night dinner, Shabbos Lunch, Shalosh Seudas and Melave Malka all at U. City Shul.
Please note: All children 11 years and younger need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian when at the Shul.
COMMUNITY NEWS▪ The Vaad Hoeir has begun their anuual Maos Chitim program to assist hundreds of families for Pesach. Checks made payable to Moas Chitim can be mailed to the Vaad Hoeir of St. Louis, #4 Millstone Campus Dr., St. Louis, MO 63146.
▪ Ladies Tehillim group – meets Sunday mornings at the home of Jan Adelman, 8032 Amherst, at 9:15 am. If you cannot participate in person, call 314-863-5438.
▪ MTI 7th Annual dinner rescheduled to Mar. 9 at Marriott West. Honoring Dr. & Mrs. Michael Shapiro and celebrating the first graduating Beis Medrash class.
▪ Bikur Cholim “Arts & Chesed” Purim events for kids ages 3-7: Part 1 rescheduled to Mar. 9 at Nusach Hari from 10:00-11:30 am: Crafts projects, learn Purim songs, enjoy hamentaschen. Part 2 date to be announced - singing & presentation of Purim crafts to residents. For info contact Daniela Hermelin 314-974-0747 or Miriam Florans 314-863-8038.
▪ Exercise for Education – Two hour fun dance class rescheduled to Sunday, March 9 from 10:00 – 11:30 am. Fundraiser for Block Yeshiva, Esther Miller Bais Yaakov, MTI, & Yeshivat Kadimah High School. $20.00/women, $10.00/students. Scholarships available. Call Jill Abrams 323-9031.
▪ Tomchei Shabbos Food Drive: Look for bags to be distributed at each Shul on March 21, and picked up March 28. For questions or home pick-up, please call Jackie Oppenheimer at 997-6924.
▪ Epstein Hebrew Academy and NCSY jointly host Allison Josephs, Founder of Jew in the Citythis Sunday March 9 at 7 pm at Epstein. The program is entitled "Finding God in Hawaii: A childhood existential crisis, a search for meaning, and the life-changing answers found in a tropical rain forest" and will feature a dairy dessert reception. Josephs is an influential speaker within the field of Jewish outreach, whose organization breaks down stereotypes about religious Jews. $18 suggested donation - men, women & teens are welcome to attend.
▪ Annual Rubin Feldman Memorial Lecture “Survivor Testimony on Film: Faith & Courage Amid the Shoah” Tuesday, March 11 @7:30 PM. Sponsored by Aish HaTorah and the Holocaust Museum & Learning Center. Rabbi Dovid Bernstein will screen segments of the film V’nikdashti (“And I Will be Sanctified”) and discuss how filmed testimonies of acts of faith during the Shoah are being used as an education resource. Light reception to follow program. Location: Holocaust Museum & Learning Center Theater, Jewish Federation Kopolow Building.
▪ Please save the date! March 24th (in the evening, location TBD): Aleinu Family Resource Center is coming to St. Louis to present "Safety Kid" - a program for parents and community members. The purpose of this program is to raise awareness, teach skills, and provide information to protect children from becoming victims of abuse.
▪ St. Louis Kollel “Eishes Chayil” Women’s Division Presents: Pre-Pesach “Princess with Pride” Women’s and Teen’s Shopping Event on Sunday, March 30th 1:00pm – 5:00 pm at Young Israel. Chinese Carryout by Jon Rubin Catering will be available.
Kashrus Advisories from the Vaad:
1. DeLish (1) Dark Chocolate Cherry Vanilla Cookies (2) Milk Chocolate Castle Cookies (3) Milk Chocolate Caramel Truffle Cookies contain dairy ingredients. Some packaging was printed with a plain OU, without the D - Dairy designation.
2. Post Limited Edition Honeycomb with Twisted Marshmallow Cereal is not kosher certified. It contains non-kosher ingredients and does NOT have a kosher symbol on the package. Please use extra care when purchasing Honeycomb to ensure that you but the original certified Honeycomb cereal ONLY.
The following yahrzeit will be observed this coming week:
Mary Darrish Goldstein........Tuesday, 3/11/2014........Adar-II 9
Classes at U.City Shul
• Wednesday night men’s Bais Medrash program beginning at 7:30 pm: Learning with Rabbi Yaakov Pentelnik on Chumash, Rabbi Dan Morris on Nesivos Shalom/The Ways of Inner Peace, Rabbi Yonoson Goldson on Prophets, and Rabbi Menachem Tendler, for teens.
• Rabbi Goldson teaches a Tefila class at the home of Mrs. Genevieve Kramer on Tuesdays at7:45 pm.
• Rabbi Greenwald teaches a weekly class on Sunday nights, to men and women at Todd and Sarah Rush’s home, on the laws of making Brochos.
• Rabbi Herber teaches a Chumash class for men on Mon. evenings right after Maariv.
• Rabbi Herber teaches a Gemorra shiur for men on Thursday evenings after Maariv..
* Rabbi Tendler teaches Daf Yomi daily at 6:00 am, before shacharis. On Shabbos class is held one hour before mincha.
* Rabbi Avraham Cohen teaches The Laws of Shabbos beginning 45 minutes before mincha on Shabbos afternoons.
* Women’s learning with Mrs. Gay Lee Freedman on Shabbos afternoon , 30 minutes before mincha.
Shabbos morning groups for children up to age 8 starting at 10:15 a.m.
Friday, March 7, 5 Adar 2
Shacharis 7:00 am
Candlelighting 5:42 pm
Mincha, Kabbalas Shabbos, Ma’ariv 5:40 pm
Sunset 6:00 pm
Repeat Kriyas Shema after 6:45 pm
Shabbos, March 8, 6 Adar 2
Class 8:30 am
Shacharis 8:50 am
According to Magen Avraham by 8:38 am
According to the G’ra by 9:17 am
Mincha followed by family
Shalosh Seudos 5:30 pm
Ma’ariv 6:46 pm
Note: Daylight Saving Time Begins
Sun-Wed, March 9-12, 7-10 Adar 2
Shacharis (Sunday) 8:30 am
Shacharis (Mon-Thurs) 7:00 am
Mincha/Ma’ariv 6:45 pm
Thursday, March 13, 11 Adar 2 - Fast of Esther
Fast Begins 6:03 am
Shacharis 7:00 am
Mincha 6:35 pm
Fast Ends 7:48 pm
© 2014 Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Sha'arei Chesed | 700 North & South | St. Louis MO | 63130 | 314-863-7485