700 North & South Road
St. Louis, MO 63130 | 314-863-7485
Join our mailing list
Candlelighting August 22
Earliest (not before): 6:22 pm
Preferred: 6:35 pm
No later than: 7:28 pm
Mincha, Kabbalos Shabbos, Ma'ariv: 6:00pm
At U.City Shul
Kiddush this Shabbos is sponsored by Stan & Rivka Jacobs in memory of Stan’s grandfather, Yehoshua Henoch Ben Menachem Mendel, whose yahrzeit is next Friday.
Save the date! On Friday night, September 5th there will be a Shabbos dinner here at the Shul, catered by Jon Rubin. Further details will be forthcoming.
The Ner Tamid / Eternal Light is glowing in the Shul’s bais medrash (small sanctuary), lovingly dedicated in memory of Eileen Lieberman by her friends and family.
Thank you to Rabbis Blumenkrantz, Greenwald, and Goldson who have been so helpful and inspiring to us this summer.
The annual Yizkor Book is going into preparation as the new year approaches. Contact the Shul office to confirm your memorial listing from last year, to make changes, or to place a new memorial listing.
Calendars for the upcoming new year are now available in the Shul lobby.
Our dear Linda Markowitz is recovering well from surgery B”H. Please daven for the continued smooth recovery of Leah Shira bas Meira. Visitors are welcome at St. Lukes Hospital; please check with Dori before visiting – 314.630.5797.
Community wide event sponsored by the Sarah Adelman Memorial Fund featuring Dr. Jerry Lob, who will speak on “Finding Calm, Even Joy, in Difficult Times”. Lecture will take place this Sunday, August 24 at 2:00 pm at Young Israel. Minimum donation $18 per family.
Women’s Tehillim group meets at the home of Bobbi Gibli, 2 Delcrest Court, #204, Sundays @9:15 am. If you cannot participate in person, call 833-3352. The Tehillim hotline for names and updates is 995-7119.
For Women: Shmiras Halashon learning group. Two sessions: Sunday Aug. 31 and Sunday Sept 21 from 8:15-9:00 pm given by Mrs. Chavi Frank at the home of Mrs. Donna Zeffren, 959 Abbeville.
Cooking for the King … How to enjoy a 3 day yom tov with grace, and manage in the kitchen as a queen. On Tuesday, Sept. 9th, Israeli cook/writer Renee Chernin will give inspiring words, an interactive food demo, and tasting of yom tov delicacies. At Young Israel. $5 advanced reservation fee, $7 at the door. Cooking demo begins at 7:15 pm.
Kashrus advisories from the Vaad:
* Northwest Olive Oil is distributing several products bearing an unauthorized OK symbol. Brand names: Crescent olive oil, Torino olive oil, Angela olive oil, Toscana olive oil, Bountiful Baskets apple cider vinegar, Bountiful Baskets coconut oil.
* Coco Libre Coconut Water is certified as OU-d since it is processed on the same equipment as dairy products. Some outer packaging has omitted the dairy designation.
The following yahrzeits will be observed next week.
Chaim Miller........................Monday, 8/25/2014........Av 29, 5774
Ed Klamen............................Wednesday, 8/27/2014...Elul 1, 5774
Bertha Becker...................... Thursday, 8/28/2014....Elul 2, 5774
Joan Lipsitz Fried..................Thursday, 8/28/2014....Elul 2, 5774
Mary Scolnik........................Friday, 8/29/201.........Elul 3, 5774
Yehoshua Henoch Ben Menachem Mendel..Fri, 8/29/2014...Elul 3, 5774
Classes at U.City Shul▪ Wednesday night men’s Bais Medrash program following Maariv: Learning with Rabbi Yaakov Pentelnik on Chumash, Rabbi Dan Morris on Nesivos Shalom/The Ways of Inner Peace, Rabbi Yonoson Goldson on Prophets, and Rabbi Menachem Tendler, for teens.
▪ Tefila class given by Rabbi Yonoson Goldson at the home of Mrs. Genevieve Kramer Tuesdays evenings.
▪ The laws of making Brochos given by Rabbi Shmuel Greenwald - weekly class on Sundaynights, to men and women at Todd and Sarah Rush’s home.
▪ Chumash class for men taught by Rabbi Herber Sunday evenings one hour before mincha;
▪ Rabbi Herber teaches a Gemorra shiur for men Thursday evenings one hour before mincha;
▪ Daf Yomi shiur daily at 6:00 am, before shacharis. On Shabbos class is held one hour and 40 minutes before mincha. Daf Yomi is given weekdays by Rabbi Ami Rosenbloom and on Shabbos by Jonathan Spetner.
▪ The Laws of Shabbos class class given by Rabbi Avraham Cohen on Shabbos afternoons beginning 40 minutes before Pirkei Avos.
▪ Pirkei Avos 40 minutes before mincha on Shabbos afternoons.
Shabbos morning groups for children up to age 8 starting at 10:15 a.m.
Friday, August 22, 26 Av
Shacharis 7:00 am
Mincha, Kabbalas Shabbos, Ma’ariv 6:00 pm
Preferred Candlelighting 6:35 pm
Candlelighting no earlier than 6:22 pm
Candlelighting no later than 7:28 pm
Sunset 7:46 pm
Repeat Kriyas Shema after 8:31 pm
Shabbos, August 23, 27 Av
Class 8:30 am
Shacharis 8:50 am
According to Magen Avraham by :00 am
According to the G’ra by 9:43 am
Daf Yomi 5:40 pm
Laws of Shabbos class 5:40 pm
Pirkei Avos 6:40 pm
Mincha followed by family Shalosh Seudos 7:15 pm
Ma’ariv and Havdallah after 8:29 pm
Sun-Thurs, August 24-28, 28 Av - 2 Elul
Tuesday and Wednesday - Rosh Chodesh
Shacharis (Sunday) 8:30 am
Shacharis (Monday-Thursday) 7:00 am
Mincha/Ma’ariv 7:20 pm
© 2014 Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Sha'arei Chesed | 700 North & South | St. Louis MO | 63130 | 314-863-7485